We need research to provide evidence that something works. It is equally important to show that something is not effective or does not work in the way we thought it should.
Health and social care research can help us to:
- Identify people at risk of getting ill and help to prevent illness.
- Provide the best advice and treatments for people.
- Share knowledge and understanding about different conditions.
- Find out what people think about services.
- Assess how effective services are.
- Improve the environment, health and wellbeing of a local population